Search Special Collections and College Archives
(Refresh your browser if you don't see the Search Box)
Civil War Era Collection
A collection of political cartoons, personal papers, pamphlets, maps, paintings and photographs from the Civil War Era.
A digital collection of broadsides published by the New England Loyal Publication Society. This society, founded in 1863, influenced public opinion through the distribution of pro-Union articles, editorials, and literature.
Civil War in Special Collections: Suggested Materials
Special Collections maintains a variety of materials a researcher in Civil War might want to investigate:
The Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, located in the Reading Room
GettDigital Civil War Era Collection
College Archives and Publications that may be of use:
- Minutes and publications
- Trustee minutes
- Faculty minutes
- Course catalogues
Additional information can be found in:
- A Salutary Influence: Gettysburg College 1832-1985, by Charles H. Glatfelter
- The Pennsylvania College Book, 1832-1882, E. S. Breidenbaugh, ed.
- A History of Gettysburg College, 1832-1932, by Samuel G. Hefelbower
Consult an archivist for assistance with these items.
- Special Collections stacks are closed. To acquire an item, make a
request at the reference desk in the Special Collections Reading Room.
- Some materials may be found in the main stacks and can circulate.
Include photographs, maps, ephemera, and manuscripts housed in Special Collections.
These items do not circulate and are available only in Special Collections.
Consult an archivist for assistance with non-published materials.
(717) 337-7002 / (717) 337-7046
Gettysburg College Box 420
Gettysburg, PA 17325
Reading Room Hours:
When Classes are in session
M, Th, F : 1 - 5 PM
T, W : 1 - 5 and 6 - 9 PM
By appointment only