Skip to main content
OverDrive provides access to a selection of popular fiction and nonfiction e-book titles. It is compatible with Kindle, Nook, and other e-readers, as well as a variety of mobile and non-mobile devices.
Getting Started with OverDrive
This video provides some instructions for accessing our OverDrive titles.
If you're looking for help with browsing and selecting titles, jump to 1:17 in the video. Instructions for downloading books begin at 5:11.
Borrowing OverDrive ebooks
- Use your Gettysburg College network username and password to check out OverDrive ebooks.
- The checkout period is 28 days.
- Renewals are available if no other users have placed a hold on the title. The renew option will appear in your bookshelf three days before the title is scheduled to expire. If the book is on hold, the borrower may be added to the hold queue.
- Books may be returned prior to the 28 day loan period.
- Up to three items can be checked out at a time.
- Place holds on up to five ebooks.
- A high-contrast option for visually impaired users is now available on the "Settings" page of each user's account.
Overview of Downloading Process
The following is a general description of the steps for downloading an OverDrive ebook. For device-specific instructions, use the links under Device-Specific Instructions.
1. Browse for a book.
2. Borrow the book
- Click on the book's Borrow button
- Enter your Gettysburg College username and password when prompted
3. Download the book
- Click on the Download button, and select the format.
- Kindle users (unless using the OverDrive app on a Kindle tablet), should select the Kindle ebook.
- Users of other e-readers should select Adobe epub format.
- PDF is available, but only recommended when the other options aren't available.
- Sign in to the download management (digital rights management) software.
- For the Kindle format, user your Amazon/Kindle login/pword.
- For other formats, use your Adobe Digital Editions login.
- Transfer the file
- The file will be sent automatically to app and Kindle users via wifi or whispernet.
- Some e-reader users will need to download Adobe Digital Editions and connect their device to their computer for file transfer.
4. Return a book
- Books are automatically returned at the end of a checkout period.
- If you would like to return a book early, you can do so by logging in to OverDrive (using your Gettysburg College login) and clicking on Return Title in your personal bookshelf.
- Kindle users can log in to their Amazon/Kindle accounts and selecting Manage Kindle. Use the Actions drop-down next to a book title and select Return this book.
1. Download the free OverDrive app.
Android | iOS (iPhone/iPad/iTouch)
2. Search for Gettysburg College to browse our OverDrive collection.
3. Select your title.
4. Check out the book. Login using your Gettysburg username and password.
5. Select your format and download to your device. You may be prompted for your Kindle or Adobe Digital Editions login.
OverDrive works on these devices. Follow the links to view device-specific video instructions.
Campus Box 420
300 North Washington Street
Gettysburg, PA 17325